A Wisconsin 4-H Shooting Sports Leader may be certified in archery, coordinator, muzzleloader, pistol, rifle, and shotgun disciplines. Leaders may only teach in the discipline in which they are certified. An adult leader cannot provide hands-on or safety instruction without a 4-H certified leader supervising the range.
Requirements for Attending an Adult Certification Workshop
Volunteers planning to be shooting sports 4-H leaders and current 4-H leaders may attend.
(Those completing a certification workshop with pending 4-H leader status must not instruct 4-H youth until 4-H leader status is approved in the county.)
- Age 21 or older to attend.
- Be an approved 4-H leader in your county or work with 4-H staff in your county to gain shooting sports leader status.
- Complete National 4-H Shooting Sport online training. (This one-time training is required for leaders/volunteers attending their first certification workshop.)
- Register for a certification workshop of choice and pay the fee by credit card. (Only one certification can be obtained at a Saturday workshop.)
- Attend the complete 8 hours of a Saturday certification workshop.
- You must consult your county 4-H staff regarding your interest in becoming a certified instructor. Always ask their preferred payment method for national online training and your registration fee for a certification workshop. National online training and certification workshops have separate fees requiring a credit card payment.
Are you attending your FIRST certification workshop or RETURNING to add an additional discipline?
(Please follow the instructions below for your specific status as a FIRST-TIME or RETURNING workshop participant.)
Adults attending as FIRST-TIME certification workshop participants.
(You must complete the National 4-H Shooting Sports online training and be an approved 4-H leader or working with your county 4-H staff to be a shooting sports leader to attend a Saturday shooting sports certification workshop.)
- Volunteers planning to be a shooting sports leader must contact the 4-H staff in your county to make them aware of your interest in attending a certification workshop. Contacting staff four weeks in advance of a scheduled certification you wish to attend is recommended.
- Complete the National 4-H Shooting Sports online training before attending a certification workshop by using the instructions outlined here. Note: National 4-H Shooting Sports online training can be completed at any time by a 4-H leader or volunteer with pending leader status prior to attending a certification workshop.
- Click here to access the National 4-H Shooting Sports online training: https://4-hshootingsportscollege.com
- Click on “Clover Academy” which takes you to the payment screen.
- Make your $20 payment online with a credit card.
- Enter your email address and create a password.
- Provide your state, county, and contact information.
- Start your training. Please allow two hours to complete. If you need to stop during the training, you will be able to save and access later using the password you created.
- Complete the training and print off your certificate. This certificate is your receipt for training fee reimbursement. Check with your county for their reimbursement policy.
- The State 4-H Shooting Sports Coordinator will be notified of your training completion automatically from National 4-H.
Adults RETURNING for an additional discipline
(Be currently enrolled as a 4-H Shooting Sports leader. You must re-enroll with your County Extension office each year.)
- Contact your county 4-H staff about attending a certification workshop and inquire about a county registration fee payment/reimbursement policy.
- Coordinate your choice of certification discipline with your County 4-H Shooting Sports Coordinator.
Registering for a certification workshop (For FIRST-TIME and RETURNING participants.)
The fee is $65 each (both spouses attending the same discipline have one fee reduced to $35. Both must complete separate registration forms and submit separate credit card payments, one for $65 and the other $35.)
- Scroll down to find a Saturday certification workshop of choice.
- Open the registration form at your certification workshop of choice, complete it, and submit it.
- Once you submit your registration, you will see instructions for the credit card payment through Extension Brown County.
- Click Make Payment then enter the fee in the Payment Amount box and click Checkout.
- Then complete the credit card Payment and Billing Address sections, scroll to the bottom type Shooting Sports in the Program Name box, and click Submit Payment. You are finished.
- Payment will be by credit card through the Brown County Extension webpage – as soon as you submit your online registration form, you will see information on making your fee payment. Fee payment can also be accessed by clicking on this link, the Brown County Extension phone number is provided at this link for assistance.
Saturday Certification Schedule
To register for a certification workshop, scroll down to find a Saturday workshop you would like to attend. Read the certification workshop Requirements sections above.
2023 West Central Workshop, Onalaska, WI
Date: Saturday, December 2, 2023
Time: 8 AM – 5 PM
Location: Onalaska Armory, 910 Oak Forest Dr, Onalaska, WI 54650
Disciplines: Archery & Air Rifle/Rifle
Registration Information: The registration deadline is November 24, 2023. Register here: https://forms.gle/RPnqjwxD6YtCwkV88
After the registration deadline contact Doug Thompson for late registration information: Doug.Thompson@browncountywi.gov
2024 Southeastern Workshop, West Bend, WI
Date: February 3, 2024
Time: 8 AM – 5 PM
Disciplines: Archery, Rifle/Air Rifle, Pistol/Air Pistol
Register now: https://forms.gle/hhgbTyuDMjqmL9D68
Registration Deadline: January 26, 2024
After the registration deadline contact Doug Thompson for late registration information. Doug.Thompson@browncountywi.gov
Location: Washington County Fair Park, 3000 County Hwy PV, West Bend, WI