Eligible youth are students currently in 9th – 11th grade in Buffalo and Pepin County school districts including Alma, Gilmanton, Cochrane-Fountain City, Pepin, Mondovi and Durand.
The anticipated date for Teen Court Interviews is March 22, 2023 in the morning via Zoom. The planned date for Teen Court Panelist Training is April 14, 2023 from 8:30am until 2:30pm at the Buffalo County Courthouse in Alma. This is a required training.
Applications are due by February 28, 2023. To apply, click here.
- Engage in the juvenile justice system in ways that promote restorative justice for youth offenders
- Attend scheduled Teen Court hearings; notify Teen Court Coordinator when unable to participate
- Conduct one’s self within the established guidelines for the Buffalo/Pepin County Teen Court
- Honor the Oath of Confidentiality for Teen Court panelists at all times
- Participate in Teen Court hearings in-person and/or virtually; question young people and their parent/guardian
- Accept and fulfill role as Teen Court spokesperson, escort, recorder, as appropriate
- Hold youth with violations accountable for their actions by issuing fair and innovative requirements
- Attend and engage in annual Teen Court panel member trainings or conferences
- Serve as an advocate for Buffalo/Pepin County Teen Court
- Assist in additional responsibilities as opportunities arise
- Be enrolled in a Buffalo or Pepin County high school
- Ability to attend scheduled cases during the school day in Durand or Alma
- Access to transportation to attend Teen Court hearings
- Ability to identify issues related to youth and their families who are involved in the judicial system
- Utilize effective communication skills with both a youth and an adult audience
- Values empathy and sees multiple perspectives
- Positive attitude and commitment to teamwork in collaborative environment
- Views position as a learning experience for self and others
- Ability to think creatively and flexibly to solve problems and make things right
- Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds