Division of Extension will be hiring 2-4 college students at each summer program site (Cochrane-Fountain City 4-H Afterschool and Mondovi Community Youth Center) for the summer of 2021. College students are university student employees and will not be working remote.
A counselor guides and ensures the safety of students as they engage in programming. The Counselor assists in planning activities and learning experiences and leads students to fully support the goals of the Mondovi Community Youth Center (MCYC) youth development program. This academic year position provides valuable pre-professional experience for education and human service careers. The Counselor is supervised by the Buffalo County 4-H Youth Development Educator.
- Assist in the planning, coordination and delivery of daily after school youth programming.
- Lead and support students as they participate in learning experiences and activities.
- Monitor students to ensure compliance with program risk management rules and prevent accidents.
- Clean, maintain and ensure proper use of program facilities and materials.
- Report and record details of incidents to appropriate stakeholders.
- Follow program emergency procedures.
- Enforce program rules and expectations.
- Must be a post-secondary college student 18 years of age or older. College students 21 years of age or older, preferred.
- Experience working with youth and families in a school or community-based program.
Knowledge & Skill Qualifications:
- Positive attitude and commitment to teamwork in collaborative environment.
- Values life-long learning and views position as a learning experience.
- Commitment to youth development principles and practices.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work well with adult volunteers and youth.
- Ability to creatively and flexibly solve problems as they arise.
- Ability to be self-directed and self-motivated.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds of equipment.
- Expected to walk and stand for significant periods of time.