Struggling to find a buyer for your Buffalo County Fair meat animal? The Buffalo County Fair Association and University of Wisconsin-Madison Division of Extension Buffalo County are here to assist you with an option to direct market one meat animal per exhibitor. An educational component must be completed in order for an exhibitor to participate.
If you would like assistance in finding a buyer, you will need to take a photo of the exhibitor with the animal, write a 50-250 word written description, provide contact information for the exhibitor, and complete the educational requirement. All information needs to be sent to Rachel Hovey at email@example.com. Once requirements have been met, the photo and description will be posted on the Buffalo County Fair Association Facebook page, the University of Wisconsin-Madison Division of Extension Buffalo County webpage and Facebook page. Prospective buyers will contact Rachel Hovey with interest in a specific animal. She will give the prospective buyer the exhibitor’s contact information. The negotiation will then be between the buyer and exhibitor. Exhibitors need to contact Rachel Hovey when the two parties have reached an agreement in order to have their information removed from social media platforms.
Youth will be required to complete one of three options. There will be a Zoom meeting on the topic of Direct Marketing Education on Wednesday, June 17 at 5pm. The link for registration is posted at the end of this email. Pre-registration is required for security reasons. The second option is that the presentation from Wednesday will be recorded and posted on the Extension website (there may be a delay in posting). The final option is in progress, youth may review a selection of online articles and complete a quiz to demonstrate knowledge. One of the three requirements must be completed before the photo and written description are posted.
Priority will be given to youth exhibitors who do not already have a buyer, a connection to sell their animal, or means of safely butchering and utilizing the meat at home. Please contact Rachel Hovey at firstname.lastname@example.org with any interest or questions.
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Requirements of photos
- The focus should be on the animal not the exhibitor, but the exhibitor must be included.
- The exhibitor should be the only person holding and handling the animal.
- Your animal must be clean.
- Appropriate show attire must be worn
- No previous awards, banners, etc. may be in the background of the video.
- All photos must be taken horizontally/landscape.
- Do not alter the photo.
- Take photos in a well-lit area located outside; natural, outdoor light is preferred.
- Try to reduce as many shadows and glares as possible.
- Make sure the animal is not standing in tall grass or deep shavings etc.
- Animals must be held by exhibitor, not tied to a fence or post.
- Consider feeding time in relation to capturing photos. You may need to feed the pigs in order for them to stand still for photos.
Requirements of written description
- One or two sentences about the exhibitor – who you are, age, club, etc.
- Should be written in third person
- Minimum of 50 words
- Maximum of 250 words
- Information about the animal
- Date of birth
- Daily feed ration
- Here you will find an example: Rachel Hovey is a 21 year old member of the Lookout Legends 4-H Club. She is selling her market steer. The steer was born on February 2, 2019 and is a black angus, charolais crossbred. Its daily feed ration is a total mixed ration of haylage, corn silage, and mineral.
Market Beef Prices from Premier Livestock as of 6/8/2020
High Choice and Prime Holstein Steers 82 to 87.50
Low Choice & Select Holstein Steers 75 to 81
Choice Beef Steers & Heifers 102 to 106
Low Choice Beef Steers & Heifers 101 and Down
Choice Dairy Beef Cross Steers 92 to 97
Under Finished & Mix Grading 80 and Down
Market Swine Prices from Premier Livestock as of 6/4/2020
Butcher Hogs 20 to 30
Market Sheep Prices from Premier Livestock as of 6/4/2020
Market Ewes 55 to 100
Market Wethers 51 to 81.75
Market Goat Prices from Premier Livestock as of 6/4/2020
40-65# Kid Goats 210 to 235
70-100# Kid Goats 160 to 250
If you cannot attend the Zoom meeting on June 17, 2020 at 5pm and complete the poll they can read the following links until they can successfully answer the following questions:
Link to the recorded Zoom from June 17. After watching this half hour video, please complete the below 2020 Direct Marketing Quiz to complete your educational requirement.
What is direct marketing?
What are two pros to selling your animal via direct marketing?
What are two cons to selling your animal via direct marketing?
What are two differences to selling your animal via direct marketing compared to selling it at an auction or at a sales barn?
Once they feel comfortable with their knowledge they can take the quiz here: 2020 Direct Marketing Quiz
Direct Market Marketing Beef: Pros and Cons, Do’s and Don’ts – may be too high of a reading level for lower elementary students – pages 2-4 have beneficial information
For graphics and more information on market lambs, goats, beef, and swine: Buying Animals for Meat Processing