Do you know that Wisconsin 4-H has a state camping facility named Upham Woods in Wisconsin Dells? Buffalo County 4-H members in grades 3-8 have the opportunity to camp with young people from neighboring counties in Marine on St. Croix, MN! Our camp staff is made up of youth development professionals, certified volunteers and trained teen leaders serving as camp counselors.
Why do we have camp?
Purposes & Goals Straight from the Camp Counselor Handbook:
Purpose of Camp
The purpose of camp is to provide an outdoor experience for both elementary youth and teen leaders to learn and practice new skills and knowledge away from home.
Goals for Camp as a Whole
- Provide safe location for youth and teen leaders to experience new knowledge and skills in an outdoor setting.
- Provide a variety of outreach educational opportunities.
- Stress lifelong learning and teamwork.
- Ensure enjoyment and satisfaction for all participants.
Goals for Counselors
- Practice planning, coordinating, and implementing learning experiences.
- Develop quality interpersonal relationships with peers and adults.
- Gain empathy for others.
- Work collaboratively with others in a team setting
- Develop and employ new leadership and responsibility skills and knowledge within the camp program.
- Practice problem solving and decision making skills.
Goals for Campers
- Practice teamwork, cooperation and communication skills.
- Learn and practice new skills and knowledge in an outdoors environment.
- Develop self-confidence and self-responsibility.
- Enjoy participation in new experiences away from home.
- Develop quality interpersonal relationships with peers and teen leaders.