2020 has been a complex, changing and challenging time for many 4-H members. As a result, Buffalo County 4-H is encouraging members to reflect on their 4-H experience this year as a way of documenting an important and historical time in their lives and 4-H “journeys.”
2020 4-H Journey Story
Unique in 2020, 4-H Record reflections will include pieces related specific to the COVID-19 pandemic, like:
- How did the COVID-19 pandemic impact your 4-H journey in 2020?
- What changes did you make to move forward your 4-H project work?
- What did you accomplish in your 4-H journey for 2020 that was unique this year?
- Did you learn any new skills or apply new knowledge that you wouldn’t have if it weren’t for the pandemic?
- As a result of what you experienced in 2020, what will you plan for 4-H project and service learning in the 2021 4-H year?
There will be two options for 4-H Records Review in 2020. Both options still include most of the seven elements of a successful 4-H Record:
- 4-H Member Resume
- Evidence of Goal Setting
- Financial Records
- Written & Visual Component
- Evidence of Effort
Option #1: 4-H Reflection Interview
4-H Reflection Interview is a virtual opportunity to connect with a peer or 4-H adult and reflect on your 4-H project work or 4-H journey over the course of the last year.
Interviews will be conducted via Zoom on Sunday, September 27, 2020 between 4:00pm – 6:00pm.
Register by September 20, 2020 for a time via Zoom at the link below:
A few have experienced difficulty with the link above. Please email Annie Lisowski at email@example.com if the link is not working for you.
Required for this option is to:
- Complete 4-H Member Resume (be prepared to share your screen on Zoom to show your completed resume)
- Participate in a short 4-H Reflection Interview with a youth leader or adult volunteer depending on grade:
- Cloverbuds in grades K-2
- Approximately 5 minutes in length
- Format is Show and Tell one 4-H project (much like meeting with judge at the Fair)
- Interview with a 4-H youth leader
- 4-H member resume not required for Cloverbuds
- Junior and Intermediate 4-H Members in grades 3-8
- Approximately 10 minutes in length
- Format is respond to questions about your 4-H activity and project work in 2020 (questions from 4-H Record Activity and Project Story pages)
- Interview with an older youth leader or adult volunteer
- Be prepared to show 4-H Member Resume
- Senior 4-H members in grades 9-13
- Approximately 15 minutes in length
- Format is two-way discussion about how pandemic has impacted your 2020 4-H Journey
- Interview with an adult volunteer
- Be prepared to show 4-H Member Resume
Each 4-H club is asked to have at least one 4-H adult leader/parent and one 4-H youth leader in grades 6-12 identified to be an interviewer on September 27, 2020. Please let Annie Lisowski know who is willing to serve as an interviewer by September 20, 2020. Thank you.
Option #2: Traditional 4-H Record Book according to guidelines with modifications for 2020
Access 4-H Record guidelines and information at https://buffalo.extension.wisc.edu/4hyd/4h/member/4-hrecord/
2020 Modifications include:
- Must be submitted via ‘no-contact’ drop off at Buffalo County Courthouse in Alma, mailed to the Division of Extension Office or submitted electronically by September 30, 2020
- 4-H Records will receive feedback from Annie Lisowski, 4-H Youth Development Educator, on the 2020 evaluation completion form
- Cloverbuds will continue to complete Cloverbud pages leaving the question about the fair incomplete
Required documents for 2020 4-H Record Completion:
- 1 4-H Member Resume
- 1 4-H Project Story (select your most influential 4-H project in 2020)
- 1 4-H Activities Story (please include any service learning)
- 1 2020 4-H Journey Story (how the pandemic has impacted your 4-H journey)
Optional / Not Required documents in 2020:
- 4-H activity program
- Additional 4-H project stories
- 4-H project records
- 4-H talk or demonstration story
- 4-H service-learning story
- 4-H youth leadership story
- Signatures or paragraphs from 4-H club leader and/or parent
Successful Reflection or Completion Evaluation
- Each 4-H member who has a Successful Reflection Interview or a 4-H Record Completion Evaluation will receive:
- $25 active member scholarship for the 2020-2021 4-H year to use towards county, state or national 4-H experiences (virtual or in-person)
- A virtual certificate
- Recognition on the web page and individual post on Division of Extension social media